Suicide Bomb Attack in Afghanistan Kills 28By VOA News
07 July 2008
Afghan policemen and health workers carry a dead body at the site of a suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, 07 Jul 2008Afghan officials say a suicide car bomber has killed at least 28 people in an attack outside the Indian Embassy in Kabul.
Public health spokesman Abdullah Fahim also reported that 141 people were wounded in Monday's attack.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing. India has close relations with the Afghan government and is funding several infrastructure projects around the country.
On Sunday, Afghan authorities said a U.S.-led coalition airstrike killed at least 22 civilians in the country's eastern Nangarhar province.
Police say the civilians were attending a wedding party near the border with Pakistan. A local official, Shokur Shinwari, told VOA's Afghan service that 10 women and 10 children were among those killed.
The U.S.-led coalition says its missiles only struck militants, adding that no women or children were present in the area.
Meanwhile, Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered an investigation into allegations that a coalition aircraft targeting militants killed at least 15 civilians Friday in a remote district of eastern Nuristan province.
A coalition statement released Saturday denied that any civilians were killed or injured in that attack.
The United Nations says nearly 700 Afghan civilians have been killed this year in crossfire between Taliban insurgents and foreign forces. Mr. Karzai has previously called on foreign troops to minimize civilian casualties.