Fugitive latest catch in Ergenekon net .hurriyet2008-detailbox-newslink { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; color:#000000;} .hurriyet2008-detailbox-newslink:hover { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline; color:#990000;} ANKARA - One of the key suspects of the controversial Ergenekon case, retired Brig. Gen. Levent Ersöz, who fled to Moscow when he learned he was wanted, was apprehended at an Ankara hospital yesterday.

Security forces were alerted when intelligence was received that Ersöz had visited the Private Yüzüncü Yıl Hospital in the Balgat district of the capital, under the assumed name of Mehmet Orhan Gülcü, according to reports. Anti-terror teams, who came to the hospital at 9 a.m., discovered Ersöz. After being caught, Ersöz’s topcoat and beard, allegedly used as a disguise, drew attention. Ersöz was taken to a police office.

Meanwhile, the identity card of Mehmet Orhan Gülcü belongs to a real person who lives in the Mediterranean province of Burdur, reports revealed. Police will also interrogate Gülcü.

Ersöz came to the hospital for prostate treatment with an army officer, Selim Gür, and his nephew Baran Kayral. Police also detained Gür and Kayral. Sources said hospital staff, who recognized Ersöz, reported him to police. Many different identity cards were found on Ersöz during the search. Ersöz, who will be sent to Istanbul following the proceedings in an Ankara police office, refused to answer questions from reporters.
NTV television aired the initial details from his interrogation. Ersöz said he had come to Turkey in mid-November, using his fake Ukrainian passport. After arrival, he went to several cities, including Şırnak in southeastern Anatolia and rented a house in Mersin in the south. Ersöz was planning to go to Cyprus after the surgical operation, said NTV. The police searched Ersöz’s two houses yesterday.

In early remarks about the capture of Ersöz, State Minister Hayati Yazıcı said: "Nobody can escape from the law. Here is a state governed by the rule of law."

Meanwhile, police yesterday found 11 grenades, 500 grams of gunpowder and two hand grenades in a park in the Bağlum district, 13 kilometers from the capital, reports revealed.

Ersöz had fled to Russia’s capital, Moscow, before being taken into custody as part of the Ergenekon detentions that were carried out in July last year. Anti-terror teams started to follow Ersöz after they learned that he had entered Turkey by sea from Zonguldak, two weeks ago.

Ersöz was known as close to the term’s gendarmerie commander, Gen. Şener Eruygur, who was detained in the Ergenekon operation. He also carried out the presidency of the gendarmerie intelligence unit and his name had been mentioned in the alleged coup diaries.hurriyet