Turkish army says helping with Ergenekon probe, slams procedure .hurriyet2008-detailbox-newslink { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; color:#000000;} .hurriyet2008-detailbox-newslink:hover { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline; color:#990000;} The Turkish army is helping state prosecutors in the Ergenekon probe, but said the basic principles of law have been violated during the investigation process, a military spokesman said on Friday. (UPDATED)

Military spokesman Brig. Gen. Metin Gurak told a weekly press briefing that some basic principles of Turkish law have been violated such as the "right to be judged fairly", and that no one could be accepted as guilty until his crime is proved, as he outlined the army's view on the controversial Ergenekon investigation.
"This sensitive atmosphere created by the segments that are expected to have a responsibility is harming individuals, institutions, the judiciary and the state," he added.
More than 100 people, including high-profile government opponents and serving military officers, have been detained in the Ergenekon probe, which was launched in 2007 with the discovery of hand grenades in a house in Istanbul.
The probe came under spotlight when prosecutors failed to bring concrete allegations or evidence against the detainees, and created questions regarding the political aspect of the case.
Gurak also said that Brigadier General Mustafa Donmez, who surrendered to military officials this week, has been sent to Istanbul upon the request of prosecutors.
He added the General Staff formed a joint team of experts, in coordination with the Istanbul Public Prosecutor's Office, to investigate the ammunition and explosives found at Donmez's home on Wednesday.
He also said the military has cooperated with prosecutors regarding the investigations into the "headquarters’ houses", in which military officials are claimed to have gathered to take clandestine decisions.
President Abdullah Gul on Friday urged Turkish media, which have gone into a frenzy over the Ergenekon probe with 24-hour coverage, to act responsibly.

"Nobody should exert pressure on the judiciary in this process and the media should refrain from putting forward names of many people in the media in an irresponsible way," he told a news conference.