A CONVICTED rapist from Jamaica who escaped deportation because he was not deemed at risk of reoffending has been jailed for a string of sex offences – including two rapes in the Lothians.

Chan Wright, 39, was found guilty of charges including raping and beating three women and indecently assaulting another two.

Prosecutors have now asked that Wright, who committed his first rape in Livingston in 1995 just a year after arriving in the UK, be considered for deportation again after he is released from his latest jail sentence.

But there were questions today over the decision to allow him to remain in the first place. The government ordered Wright's compulsory removal from the country in 2003 and his appeal against the ruling was dismissed two years later

But he successfully challenged the decision at the Court of Session in 2007 when judges ruled it was "irrational" to conclude he posed a high risk of re-offending.

At the High Court in Aberdeen yesterday, Wright was convicted of a dozen charges, including a rape and an assault committed after his appeal win.

Edinburgh Tory MSP Gavin Brown said he found the case "truly shocking".

He said: "I think the authorities need to look at all how this criminal was allowed to remain in Scotland. It ought to prompt a review of the system to ensure a case like this is never allowed to happen again.

"When one as a bad as that slips through the net, you need to look at the whole net."

Two of the charges he was convicted of yesterday related to rapes on women in the Edinburgh and Livingston between 2000 and 2005. Wright moved to Aberdeenshire after leaving the Lothians and continued his offending, raping another woman at some point between 2006 and last year.

Wright denied all of the 16 charges against him, claiming that any sex was consensual, but admitted biting one woman so hard on her face she was left with a scar.

He also conceded he had punched and slapped another woman.

A fourth rape charge, where Wright was accused of driving a woman into the countryside near South Queensferry and assaulting her in his car, was found not proven by the jury.

Two charges of assaulting children, and one of indecent assault against a woman, were also found not proven.

Lord Kinclaven deferred sentence until October 25 for background reports, including an assessment on whether an order for lifelong restriction should be imposed.

Such an order means prisoners can only be freed once the parole board deems it safe to do so and they are supervised for the rest of their life.

Wright, who latterly lived in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, was allowed into Britain for six months in 1994. But the following year he was given permission to stay indefinitely after marrying a UK citizen.

He was first jailed for four years for raping a 19-year-old woman in West Lothian after letting her into his home to use the phone.

He was jailed again in 2003 - for four months - for being concerned in the supply of cocaine and a sheriff recommended deportation.

Wright appealed but his plea was thrown out by the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal in 2005 as the panel ruled that he had committed two serious crimes and posed a high risk of reoffending.

He challenged the tribunal decision at the Court of Session in Edinburgh and won his case.